FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT OUR FELLOWSHIP
THE SELECTION PROCESS
+ What are all the steps to becoming a Fellow?
The entire selection process is:
1. Application >> 2. In-Person Interview >> 3. Tryout >> 4. Acceptance.
More details are included on the first page of your application packet, which you can find here.
+ How will I know if I made it to the next round?
ALL applicants will receive notice of their application status via email. If for some reason you've submitted an application and did not receive notice, it is possible an incorrect email has been submitted. Please use the form below to let us know so we can ensure we have your application.
+ Who can apply?
- You have been directly impacted by the criminal justice system: arrested, facing an open case, in an alternatives to incarceration program, spent any time in an adult correctional facility.
- You are between the ages of 18-25 years old and live in New York
- You can demonstrate that you have an 8th grade, or higher, Math and Reading level (TABE, GED/TASC or HS DIPLOMA preferred but not necessary)
- You can commit 35+ hrs per week for 8 months to Drive Change
- You are interested in social justice, or criminal justice reform
+ Can I refer a friend?
Yes! We absolutely invite everyone to spread the word! As long as you meet the eligibility requirements, all are welcome to apply.
+ Can I apply more than one time per year?
Yes. If you have applied to an earlier season and were not accepted, you are welcome to re-apply.
+ What do I need to hand in with my application?
You can find complete instructions on the first page of the application packet. To download the application packet, click here.
+ What is a TABE test and where can I get it?
The TABE test screens for foundational math, reading and language skills. At Drive Change you will be required to function at minimum 8th grade level in reading and math.
Many educational organizations offer this test and may be able to provide one for you.
If you still cannot access one, please write a short paragraph explaining why you are unable to obtain this and send that as an attachment.
As a reminder you only need a TABE if you do not have a HS diploma/GED/TASC.
+ When is the application deadline?
Deadline for Fellowship beginning June 17, 2019 is May 31st, 2019. We will continue to accept applications for future cohorts.
+ How long will everything take?
The entire selection process is 10 weeks. This is from the start of when applications open, all the way through to the first day of Fellowship.
+ What is the time commitment of the Fellowship?
All Fellows will be scheduled for 35+hrs/wk for 8 months. As a reminder, it is a paid opportunity. You can learn more about the Fellowship throughout this website as well as during future rounds for applicants who proceed.
Still have questions?
Just ask us, we’re happy to talk about our program.